M4 Junctions 12 (Theale, West Berkshire) to 15 (Swindon, Wiltshire) – Resurfacing
We are resurfacing various sections of the M4 east and westbound carriageways between junctions 12 and 15, to ensure the network remains in a safe condition. For the safety of our workforce and customers, during the Spring and Summer we will need to close the sections of the M4 eastbound and westbound overnight (between 9pm and 6am, Monday to Friday only).
For May 2020, the following closures are planned:
- Monday 27 April to Monday 4 May – Lane closures on the westbound carriageway between junction 13 and junction 14
- Tuesday 5 May to Friday 15 May – Full closures of the westbound carriageway between junction 13 and junction 14, with a signed diversion via A34 south to Speen, west along the A4 to Hungerford, then north on the A338 to the M4
- Monday 18 May to Thursday 21 May – Lane closures on the westbound carriageway between junction 13 and junction 14
- Tuesday 26 May to Thursday 28 May – Full closures of the westbound carriageway between junction 13 and junction 14, with a signed diversion via A34 south to Speen, west along the A4 to Hungerford, then north on the A338 to the M4
Please note works are currently not scheduled to take place between Friday 22 to Monday 25 May due to the Bank Holiday weekend.
Due to the current Covid-19 Pandemic, all our works are subject to change due to available resource by our Supply Chain. We will therefore provide an update in late-May with the planned closures for June.
The confirmed dates/timings for all closures will be displayed in advance on large yellow signs alongside the M4.
Access will be maintained for emergency service vehicles on blue light calls.
M4 Weekend Closures
Some sections of resurfacing will require replacement of all layers down to the foundations, and therefore part of this work will be done whilst closing the M4 over an entire weekend periods. We are led by the safety of road users and our workers when we plan roadworks. As this section of road is busy and we need time for materials to harden.
These weekend closures will take place on the following dates, which do not clash with the current M4 Smart Motorway Project:
- Friday 3 to Monday 6 July – M4 westbound between junction 13 and junction 14
- Friday 4 to Monday 7 September – M4 westbound between junction 13 and junction 14
- Friday 11 to Monday 14 September – M4 eastbound between junction 15 and junction 14
- Friday 2 to Monday 5 October – M4 eastbound between junction 13 and junction 12
Confirmation of these weekend closures will be provided to you nearer the time.
Significant delays are expected during these weekend closures. We advise you to plan your journey and allow extra time or avoid this route if possible.
We would like to apologise in advance for any inconvenience or disruption during our work. If you have any questions, or if you’d like you know more about our work please email us at email@example.com or call us on 0300 123 5000.
Alternatively, to view our weekly report of full closures please visit https://highwaysengland.co.uk/roads, scroll down and under Roadworks click on ‘Check for Roadworks’, then scroll down and under Planned full closures click on ‘Check for Roadworks’ (this will open a Microsoft Excel file that will allow you to filter by day and road).